Master of Integrated Water Management
The International WaterCentre Master of Integrated Water Management creates water leaders by drawing on international teaching and research from many fields to provide a transdisciplinary, whole-of-water-cycle approach to water management.
Get a degree from Australia's top universities
The program was created as a unique collaboration between four leading Australian universities:
While students enrol at The University of Queensland, modules are jointly delivered by world-leading industry experts and lecturers from IWC's four founding universities.
Upon graduation, students receive a co-badged degree. This means they receive a testamur with the logos of all four universities.
IWC founding universities are highly ranked, among the top 1% in the world for teaching and research (QS World University Rankings).
*Note: part-time/distance available only to Australian/New Zealand citizens and Australian Permanent Residents.
MIWM graduates are well-equipped to pursue work with NGOs, government or aid agencies, consultancies, water utilities, community development agencies, environmental regulators and agricultural, mining and industrial companies. Read more
Develop your skills and knowledge
You can choose one of three specialisation streams:
You can also tailor your final project experience to meet your professional or career development aspirations, either within your current work environment or as a placement with a host organisation, in Australia or overseas.
Scholarships and grants
A range of funding options exist for students who are interested in this program:
- IWC Masters Scholarships (full scholarships) - open annually for international students (from 1 May - 1 August) and domestic students (from 1 July - 1 October).
- Australia Awards Scholarships - open annually for students from selected developing countries in Africa and Asia-Pacific.
- Other scholarships - Government scholarships and loans from your home country, international scholarships - read more
- IWC Partial Scholarships ($7,000) - now closed. More details will be published in mid October 2014.
Study water management and advance your career
- Become familiar with all aspects of integrated water management.
- Gain water management expertise for developed and developing countries.
- Understand the importance of integrated water management from a global to local scale.
- Learn integration and managerial skills for planning, design and operation of water projects and facilities.
- Understand the principles of managing water supply, wastewater treatment and urban infrastructure projects.
- Recognise the socio-economic factors affecting water solutions.
- Study governance and institutional frameworks underpinning water management.
Join a diverse group of water professionals
IWC students come from diverse academic backgrounds such as engineering, biology, chemistry, geology, public health, hydrology, natural resource management, social sciences and philosophy. They are new, mid or senior level professionals who want to change career direction or gain new perspectives in their fields.
IWC students come from all over the world, bringing with them great cultural and professional diversity. Students support each other and build strong professional and personal friendships.
Watch a video
Need more information?
- Download the program brochure (PDF)
- View the program structure
- Practical details and entry requirements
- Program highlights
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Contact us