Publications and resources list
Tools / Resources
Ministry for the Environment, New Zealand Government
Measuring up the environment
IAN online conceptual model tool
- Arthington, A.H, Naiman, R.J, Mclain, M.E and Nilsson, C (2010). ‘Preserving the biodiversity and ecological services of rivers: new challenges and research opportunities’, Freshwater Biology, vol.55 no.(1), pp. 1-16
Bailey, R, Reynoldson, T, Yates, A, Bailey, J, and Linke, S, 2007, 'Integrating stream bioassessment and landscape ecology as a tool for land use planning', Freshwater Biology, Vol 52, pp. 908–917
- Barbour, M, Gerritsen, J, Snyder, B, Stribling, J, 1999, 'Rapid Bioassessment Protocols For Use in Streams and Wadeable Rivers: Periphyton, Benthic Macroinvertebrates, and Fish, Second Edition'.
- Bunn, S, Davies, P, and Mosisch, T, 1999 'Ecosystem measures of river health and their response to riparian and catchment degradation', Freshwater Biology, 41, 333-345
- Bunn, S, Abal, E, Smith, M, Choy, S, Fellows, C, Harch, B, Kennard, M, and Sheldon, F, 2010, 'Integration of science and monitoring of river ecosystem health to guide investments in catchment protection and rehabilitation', Freshwater Biology, 55 (Suppl. 1), 223–240
- Bunn, S.E., Abal, E.G., Greenfield, P.F. and Tarte, D.M. (2007). Making the connection between healthy waterways and healthy catchments: South East Queensland, Australia. Water Science and Technology: Water Supply 7: 93–100.
- Bunn, S.E., Leigh, C., Balcombe, S., Sternberg, D., Abal, E. and Moore, K. 2010. Development of a Report Card on ecosystem health of the Strickland River system: Summary of methods and recommendations. Australian Rivers Institute. Brisbane
- Chessman, B, 2006, 'Prediction of riverine fish assemblages through the concept of environmental filters', Marine and Freshwater Research, 57, 601–609
- Chessman, B, 1995, 'Rapid assessment of rivers using macroinvertebrates: A procedure based on habitat-specific sampling, family level identification and a biotic index', Australian Journal of Ecology, 20, 122-129
- Chessman, B, and Royal, M, 2004, 'Bioassessment without reference sites: use of environmental filters to predict natural assemblages of river macroinvertebrates', The North American Benthological Society, 23(3):599–615
- Clapcott, J, Young, R, Goodwin, E, and Leathwick, J, 2010, 'Exploring the response of functional indicators of stream health to land-use gradients', Freshwater Biology, 55, 2181–2199
- Dennison, W.C. and Abal, E.G. 1999. Moreton Bay Study: A Scientific Basis for the Healthy Waterways Campaign. South East Queensland Regional Water Quality Management Strategy, Brisbane.
- Downes, B, Barmuta, L, Fairweather, P, Faith, D, Keough, M, Lake, P, Mapstone, B, and Quinn, G, 2002, 'Monitoring Ecological Impacts: Concepts and practice in flowing waters, Chapter 3, Assessment of perturbation', Cambridge University Press, UK
- Downes, B, Barmuta, L, Fairweather, P, Faith, D, Keough, M, Lake, P, Mapstone, B, and Quinn, G, 2002, 'Monitoring Ecological Impacts: Concepts and practice in flowing waters, Chapter 10, Variables that are used for monitoring in flowing waters', Cambridge University Press, UK
- Downes, B, Barmuta, L, Fairweather, P, Faith, D, Keough, M, Lake, P, Mapstone, B, and Quinn, G, 2002, 'Monitoring Ecological Impacts: Concepts and practice in flowing waters, References', Cambridge University Press, UK
- Fellows, C, Clapcott, J, Udy, J, Bunn, S, Harch, B, Smith, M, and Davies, P, 2006, 'Benthic metabolism as an indicator of stream ecosystem health', Hydrobiologia, 572:71–87
- Flotemersch, J, Stribling, J, and Paul, M, 2006, 'Concepts and Approaches for the Bioassessment of Non-wadeable Streams and Rivers', EPA 600-R-06-127. US Environmental Protection Agency, Cincinnati, Ohio.
- Jackson, L, Kurtz, J, Fisher, W, 2000, 'Evaluation Guidelines for Ecological Indicators', U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Office of Research and Development, Research Triangle Park, NC 27711
- Kennard, M, Harch, B, Pusey, B, and Arthington, A, 2006, 'Accurately defining the reference condition for summary biotic metrics: a comparison of four approaches', Hydrobiologia, 572:151–170
- Mackay, S.J, James, C and Arthington, A.H (2010), ‘ Macrophyte as indicators of stream condition in the Wet Topics region, Northern Queensland, Australia’, Ecological Indicators, vol. 10, pp. 330-340
- Moss, A, Smith, M, Harch, B, Bunn, Storey, A, Kennard, M, Marshall, C, 2001, 'Design and Implementation of Baseline Monitoring (DIBM3), Chapter 12: Ecosystem Health Guidelines for Rivers and Streams in South East Queensland'.
- Norris, R, and Thoms, M, 1999, 'What is river health?', Freshwater Biology, 41, 197-209
- Peterson, E, Sheldon, F, Darnell, R, Bunn, S, and Harch, B, 2010, 'A comparison of spatially explicit landscape representation methods and their relationship to stream condition', Freshwater Biology, 2010
- Rapport, D, Costanza, R, and McMichael, A, 1998, 'Assessing ecosystem health', Tree, Vol 13, no. 10, October 1998, 397-402
- Ryder, D, Veal, R, Sbrocchi, C and Schmidt, J. 2011. Bellinger-Kalang Rivers Ecohealth Project: Assessment of River and Estuarine Condition 2009-2010. Final Technical Report to the Bellingen Shire Council. University of New England, Armidale
- Smith A, Bode, R, and Kleppel, G, 2007, 'A nutrient biotic index (NBI) for use with benthic macroinvertebrate communities', Ecological Indicators 7 (2007) 371–386
- Smith, M, Bunn, S, Storey, A, Harch, B, and Redfern, F, 2001, 'Design and Implementation of Baseline Monitoring (DIBM3), Chapter 2: Process Undertaken to Develop an EHMP for Rivers and Streams in South East Queensland'.
- Smith, M, Harch, B, Bunn, S, Clapcott, J, and Dwyer, C, 2001, 'Design and Implementation of Baseline Monitoring (DIBM3), Chapter 11: Ecosystem Health Monitoring Program for South East Queensland'.
- Stoddard, J, Larsen, D, Hawkins, C, Richard, J, and Norris, R, 2006, 'Setting expectations for the ecological condition of streams: the concept of reference condition', Ecological Applications, 16(4), 2006, pp. 1267–1276
- Udy, J, Fellows, C, Bartkow, M, Bunn, S, Clapcott, J, and Harch, B, 2006, 'Measures of nutrient processes as indicators of stream ecosystem health', Hydrobiologia (2006) 572:89–102
- Utz, R, Hilderbrand, R, and Boward, D, 2009, 'Identifying regional differences in threshold responses of aquatic invertebrates to land cover gradients', Ecological Indicators 9 (2009) 556-567
- Williams, M. Longstaff, B. Buchanan, C. Llanso, R and Dennison, W (2009) ‘Development and evaluation of a spatially-explicit index of Chesapeake Bay health’, Marine Pollution Bulletin. 59 (14-25)