Water Leadership Program 2015/16: Emerging water leaders meet in Brisbane
The face-to-face intensive, held from 15 - 19 February, forms part of the nine-month Water Leadership Program that runs each year from 1 December to 31 August. Designed for emerging water leaders at the project to middle management level, the program is customised for the water sector and focuses on helping leaders to build the leadership abilities to manage complex challenges, as well as to collaborate and exert influence across organisational boundaries.
From the participants
Participants identified learning from successful leaders, discussing strengths and weaknesses and being equipped with the techniques and behaviours of successful leaders as an important component of their learning for the next six months.
Caroline Auricht from SA Water said she enrolled in the program to ‘kick-start’ her leadership journey, take her career to the next level and to improve her leadership ability through coaching.
The Water Leadership Program
The program includes the following elements:
- mentoring and coaching activities involving three highly experienced executives from the water industry (Mr Rob Skinner, Mr Tony McAlister and Mr Mark Pascoe)
- a sound research and theoretical basis, including conceptual models of effective water leaders, leadership processes and leadership development
- the use of ‘360-degree feedback tools’ to help identify key leadership strengths and weaknesses of participants, and build their self-awareness
- one-to-one coaching
- the use of individual leadership development plans, and challenging cross-boundary projects so that participants can practise new leadership behaviours and tactics
- peer review of the program’s design, content and evaluation by senior industry practitioners and leading academics to ensure the program meets the needs of the water sector.