Knowledge Hub for Healthy Rivers and Aquatic Ecosystems
KnowledgeHubs is the Asia-Pacific Water Forum’s network of regional water centres of excellence. The centres share information and champion solutions to improve water security in the Asia-Pacific region.
Project Category: Applied Research
Key Areas of Work: Ecosystem health and river restoration
Project Date: Oct 28, 2009
The Asia-Pacific Water Forum Regional Knowledge Hub for Healthy Rivers and Aquatic Ecosystems is the first Hub to be hosted in Australia. It has been established to connect people and organisations concerned about creating healthy rivers and aquatic ecosystems by facilitating knowledge generation, knowledge sharing and capacity development.
The IWC collaborates with its member universities and
partner organisations as well as international government entities, water sector agencies, non-government and regional organisations, public and private corporations and others to:
- Identify, generate and exchange best practice information on protection and restoration of rivers
- Provide training and postgraduate courses in integrated water management
- Foster a stimulating, collaborative and innovative research environment
- Develop a river health monitoring framework
- Create a pool of river health experts and water leaders
- Train and mentor water agencies and communities in the Asia-Pacific region.